Let's review how to create a new EMR user.
Create a New User
Super Admins and users with the Manage Users feature can complete the following steps:
- Click on your initials and select Manage Users.
- From the Active Users tab, click New User.
Enter the user’s information.
- First Name, Middle Name, Last Name: The user's first and last name are required, middle is optional.
- Alias: If the user has an alternate name they would prefer to use, enter it here.
- Title: Enter the user's title.
- Mobile: This number is helpful for two-factor authentication (if enabled).
- NPI Number: Required for rendering providers when integrated with a billing system.
- For Physicians: DEA Number: If the user is a physician, enter their DEA number.
- For Physicians: NADEAN Number: Enter the user's NADEAN Number. This field is not required, but filling it out will provide a more seamless experience.
- State License: Use the drop-down list to select the state from which the user holds their license.
- Primary License Number: Enter the user's primary license number. This field is not required, but filling it out will provide a more seamless experience.
- Secondary License Number: Enter the user's second license number, if required in your state.
- Add the user’s Email. It is extremely important that the email you enter is valid and active.
- Set a Notification preference. If Text is chosen, ensure a valid Mobile phone is added.
Use the checkboxes to indicate the Locations the user should have access to.
- Use the Default location drop-down to identify which Location the user should be logged into when they first sign in (optional).
- Set the Roles and Features for the user. These determine what the user can access. Please review the linked articles for more information.
- Use the Function drop-down to set form and flag access.
- Restrict access to certain patients, if needed. Simply type in the patient’s name. You can also restrict this user’s access to only patients in their caseload using the checkbox.
- Click Register and Invite. This automatically sends an invite email to the user to create a password and log into the Kipu EMR. Note: Invitations expire after 48 hours.
Monitor Verification Status
The Active Users tab contains a Status column. Each user will have one of the following statuses.
- Active: The user has successfully verified their account and no further action is needed.
- Needs Verification: The verification email has expired. Click the Invite button to resend.
- Pending: The user has an active email invitation waiting in their inbox.
Invitation Email Expiration: Password Reset Self-Service
Because email invitations expire after 48 hours, users may receive an Invalid Token error when attempting to complete their account registration. To ensure users can access the system without needing to contact a Super Admin, please provide the following information to the user.
Send the following information to the new user in your preferred method:
- Your Instance URL link
- The Email address tied to the users EMR account
- Instruct the user to open the Instance URL link and click the Forgot password? link on the login screen.
- They will follow the prompts to reset the password.
- The user can then log into the EMR with their email address and new password and follow the account verification steps.